What Is Personal Information?
Personal information means any information that can be used to identify an individual including your name, address, telephone number, email address, scanned copies of your government photo ID and information on the legal matter with which you are seeking assistance with and any other information that you choose to provide. Personal information does not include information that is publicly available such as business contact information. Any personal information that is collected is limited to that information that is necessary in order for us to conduct business in order to provide legal services. We will obtain your direct consent before we collect such information and you can opt out at any time. The personal information is collected only used for the original purpose for which it was collected (unless you provide consent otherwise). All your personal information is protected and safeguarded and not shared with any third party unless you provide your consent to do so. The entcounsel.com provides general information to any visitor or user in Ontario who are seeking legal information or services.
Collection and Limited Use of Personal Information
We use personal information only as described in this Policy or as otherwise permitted or required by law unless you provide consent. We only collect personal information and limit it to that which is relevant and necessary to provide legal services. We will retain information, including personal information, for as long as it is needed for the purposes for which it was collected. We collect and use personal information for the following:
- to identify conflicts of interest to determine whether we can represent you;
- to provide legal services to you
- to carry out a client’s instructions
- to provide articles, blog posts and tools if you have opted in to receive that information
- to invoice for our services;
- to fulfill legal and professional obligations; and
- as permitted or required by law
- for other purposes for which you have provided consent
- communicating with you including subscribing to our newsletter or as otherwise to be kept informed of legal information
- to provide you with information that you request from us
- to administer surveys or request feedback
- to protect against fraud, illegal activities or error.
- to send you newsletters about our services, legal developments, articles, legal tools, events and courses if you have opted in to receive such information.
- to understand how you use the website, for data analytics, or statistical analysis.
- You may change your preferences or unsubscribe from our mailing lists at any time.
We may collect such personal information from you directly or through credit bureaus, government agencies or institutions or through other third parties such as employment and other references, employers and service providers.
Internet Server Provider
Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses are automatically assigned to web users. Such IP addresses may be used to identify an individual using the website in certain circumstances.
Server Logs and Google Analytics
Server logs record statistical information, such as a visitor’s IP address and type of operating system, the time and duration of visit, categories of visitors, domains, browser types and Web pages requested. Such information does not identify any individual visitor unless it was required to do so due to security or other reasons. Google Analytics tracks visitors to the websites but such personally identifiable information is not shared with Google Analytics. Such information is used to understand website performance. You can opt out of Google Analytics data collection through the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Google Analytics is a web analytics tool from Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). Google Analytics uses information obtained by the cookies to evaluate your use of the website for us, to create reports on website activities and to provide further services related to the website and the internet usage for us. This information may be transmitted to a server in the USA and stored there. Please note that Google Analytics information may be disclosed to marketing agency partners that use the data to optimize marketing campaigns. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose personal information only as described in this Policy, with your consent, or as otherwise permitted or required by law. We may disclose personal information
- to third parties in the course of providing legal services (eg. experts, agents, other lawyers and consultants etc).
- to service providers for the purpose of marketing, credit worthiness, collection of debts, technical support and mailing lists which is limited only for the third parties services it is providing us. We require the service providers to maintain the confidentiality of the personal information and to take steps to protect the security of the personal information we give it where you have instructed us to disclose your personal information to a third party for a designated purpose.
- to insurers and to regulatory agencies;
- in connection with a business transaction;
- to third party or parties provided that gave consent or where such disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Protection of Personal Information
We protect the security of your personal information by having standard safeguards in place. Third Parties We may disclose personal information to third parties in limited scenarios:
- where you ask or authorize us to do so
- as part of operating the website, to service providers such as cloud services, hosting or data analytics or storage providers;
- where authorized or required by law, such as for fraud and other crime prevention, to comply with laws, regulations, court rules, and professional obligations, to assist law enforcement, or to collect a debt.
We do not sell or rent personal information, nor do we provide or offer commercial services of any kind. However, as described above, some third parties may receive, use or analyze personal information as part of the services they provide to our website.
Retention and Storage of Personal Information
We retain personal information only for the amount of time needed to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or as permitted by law, after which the personal information is destroyed or made anonymous. Unless you tell us otherwise, your consent remains valid after termination of our relationship with you. We may store your personal information in databases located in the United States, Canada, or other countries. Additionally, some of our service providers may store personal information in the United States or other countries and will be subject to local laws. As a result, in certain circumstances, the United States and other foreign governments, courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access personal information under our control. In addition, if you are visiting our website from a country other than Canada, your communication through our website or any of our services may result in the transfer of information across international boundaries. By using our website or otherwise communicating with us, you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your information in Canada, United States and in any country to which we may transfer your information in the course of our operations.
Safeguarding Personal Information
We take reasonable steps commensurate with a free, temporary, public-interest website to protect personal information, including through appropriate physical, organizational and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. However, there are inherent risks associated with the use of electronic means of communication so you should not provide us with sensitive personal or business information. The possibility exists that information could be unlawfully observed by a third party while the data is being transmitted over the internet or while stored on cloud-based servers, or subject to access and review by law enforcement or other authorities. Ultimately, any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
The website you are visiting is not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that a child has submitted personal information to us, we will delete it.
Correcting Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and updated as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is used. You may email us to request access to your personal information to review its accuracy or to update your personal information. You may also email us to request that we delete your personal information or remove it from our website. We will fulfill all such requests promptly, commensurate with reasonable expectations for a free, temporary, public interest website operated by volunteers.
Your Access to Your Personal Information
You can ask to view your personal information by writing to us at any time. Please contact us directly regarding any privacy concerns at [email protected] Please note that we may need to confirm your identity or request additional details in order to process your request.
This Policy was last updated in April 2020.